Tuesday 23 June 2009

Non-remunerated tuitions are fun

I started out giving tuitions in 2004. My first students were form 3 kids from the village who were seeking assistance in English, French, Accounting, Economics and Maths, all those stuff I love, minus the maths. I had barely 3 students and I found it difficult to handle. I was still in high school at that time, so you can imagine I had tuitions too.

But I did not give up. Over the years I have developed a kind of thrill in carrying out those classes. With each new batch of students every year, I got to grow up as well. This year for instance, I have noticed a change in my behavior; I am more confident and more relaxed when I am speaking to them. I joke more often as well and I really like it when the girls are giggling, at least it shows that they are listening.

For the past 2 years, I have scheduled my tuitions on Sunday mornings, and it has taken the importance of a hobby in my life. I don't think that I would stop this some time soon.

It's gratifying to see the kids progress and it's a real pleasure to have an attentive audience every Sunday morning.

So dudettes and dudes, all this goes to say that if ever you have some time to spend in helping some kids who really need it, go for it. Sometimes some parents might even want to remunerate you and if not, well, you will have the satisfaction of accomplishing something truly worthwhile, without forgetting that you'll develop your "one-man show skills". :p

7 comments:

  1. Keep up your 'one-man show skills'! You're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool. One of my lecturers at uni once told me something like "the best way to learn something is to actually teach it".

    I think this is kind of true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. that's cool! We neeeeed more teachers like you ^^. Are you going to be a teacher after university????

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually do that with my cousins, I'm not really confident to try it with others :P I usually teach Urdu and Maths to my cousins, and it really feels great when they actually listen to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Jess, I don't think I will be a teacher. I prefer something more corporate, ca me fait rever! :P

    @ Nussaibah, on my part, I would honestly have found it difficult to tutor my own cousins. I think the relationship that we share would have hindered me. :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent, morinn :-)

    I'm sure you'll agree that being a teacher (in the noble sense of the word) is truly fantastic...

    ReplyDelete