Sunday 28 June 2009

For whom the wedding bells toll?

Let me tell you right away that this post is not about me getting married. :P Though some people were literally assaulting Jev and I with questions regarding our wedding last night. You see that's one of the issues of going out with someone who happens to be a family friend and who is remotely related to one of my relatives; we get to be invited to the same wedding ceremonies and sometimes this gives rise to some awkward situations. However, looking back on all those incidents, I tend to find them funny.


Anyway, coming back to wedding ceremonies, I have tremendously enjoyed that of last night. It felt great to prepare for the wedding, find the right clothes to wear, do my hair and all those beauty stuff which I do all so rarely.



The wedding ceremony was great, very traditional, which I really love.

However, there is one factor that really annoys me in all the weddings I attend, which is the real loud music. I wonder if there is some kind of inter-wedding decibel competition organised every year. At first there was the loud music which made any conversation impossible, then came the band. Damn, I'm sure I'm going to suffer from deafening silence if I keep on attending weddings.

Whatever happened to the good old Shehnai in Hindu wedding ceremonies? A light background music makes the whole wedding atmosphere even better. I wonder why people don't opt for that kind of music more often.

You might argue that Shehnai players in Mauritius are rare and not really affordable by all. But then there exists the CD versions of Shehnais or for the sake of the health of guests ears wedding organisers might consider reducing the decibel a little.

It's not because of the latest hit music that people actually attend weddings...

22 comments:

  1. Rightly said. Ambient music would be a lot nicer. Also I do not understand why the band should be playing that loud... It's only for 200 people they're playing, not 1000.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh i was expecting to see some nice wedding photos!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Jev, hehe, yeah. The band was loud, you remember joking about whether some guy was about to sing a metallica? hihi

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Angele, I haven't yet uploaded all the pictures. Will be updating soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. yeah we don't get to see shehnai here. that would be something i would definitely have appreciated contrary to the band and supposedly dj or whatever crappy music they tend to play at weddings.
    0h and what did u wear? sari? i want picturesss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "It's not because of the latest hit music that people actually attend weddings..."

    That is true for certain people lol The music is not only loud, it's shit music too! We Mauritians as a whole have shit tastes in music, we go for cheap remixes, disco songs, I mean why not shehnai like you said? Shehnai can be amazing, it gives a great feel to the atmosphere too. Why not someone doing some instrumentals with his guitar, a guy on the drums, and someone else on the piano?

    Weddings tend to be an opportunity for people to show off to people who live in their vicinity. The louder the shit music, the better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ohh now I can see some fotos. ^^

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow you look hot!
    i hate when djs play at weddings, i prefer bands.
    never heard of shehnai.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I, as well, agree with you lot. I welcome loud music only when conversations have run dry lol...which happens to me when I'm in the company of 'relatives' I meet in weddings only.

    ReplyDelete
  10. i usually balance the sound when i`m the "incharge", it involves lesser db and more pleasure for the ears. However remixes are only for the dance party. Else in the ceremonies i do put a low background music when the pandit is reciting his mantras. yeah! when these "bolfams" are singing i once put on some beats to give them a rap feel [whaich was an error as i by mistake played it] rofl. but one thing why do these band guys scream even though they have microphones??

    p.s: when are you guys getting married :P [just pulling your leg :D ]

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Rooch, I did not wear sari cause I was just not able to walk in one. :( So I ended up wearing churidars. I love the black one I am wearing on the pic, I looked Egyptian! lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. @ Yashi,
    Weddings tend to be an opportunity for people to show off to people who live in their vicinity. The louder the shit music, the better!
    Word! That totally expresses the mindset of most wedding organisers. I wonder how they think they are showing off with loud crappy music. When I was a kid, I always used to think it was a way of helping people to get to the wedding! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  13. @ Angele, there are more pictures to come. I gotta update this post pretty soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. @ Keli, hehe, thanks, I tend to find myself hot in this pic too! :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Moodyboo, hehe, I experienced the pause in conversations yesterday as well. The loud music helped me in not hearing the same questions from relatives over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ Joyshan, I laughed out loud when I read this, imagining the old ladies, singing to a rap beat! Hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. the loud music c'est pour que personne n'entende ce que les autres disent comme ça y'a pas de bagarres lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Morinn: "When I was a kid, I always used to think it was a way of helping people to get to the wedding! Haha!"

    LMAO, you never know!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi everybody..
    I came across blog by pure luck..
    I'm quite astonished that many of you dont know or never heard about mauritian groups playing shehnai.
    We are I guess one of the only mauritian groups performing in wedding for over a decade. You'll get other nageswaram groups but not shehnai.

    If ever anyone interested to hire us for wedding or other occasions of if anyone interested to learn how to play feel free to contact us by mail :
    shehnaimauritius@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete