Friday 22 May 2009

Save the Mauritian geckos.

Today I was going through a local weekly magazine when I came across an article about Mauritian geckos and how those creatures are supposed to be on the path to extinction. No need to say that I was elated at this news. Okay, I'm just kidding. :D



Though I can't make myself agree with any reason why someone would want to save a gecko, I guess its survival is important. It forms part of the fauna of our island and one just can't think of the latter without remembering those lovely colourful parasites, huh?

(a male Phelsuma ornata here in the picture, don't ask me how I know it's a male, a friend gave me the info but I have a feeling it's got something to do with its markings)

So those Mauritian geckos, also known as Phelsumas are being chased out of their territory by a gecko who was brought from Madagascar and who goes by the name of Phelsuma Grandis. The Phelsuma Grandis is mostly green and can reach up to 30 cm long. It differs a great deal from local Phelsuma mostly from the distinguishing characteristic that it is a lot freakier than usual local ones.

So according to the article, if you were to find a Phelsuma Grandis in your garden or anywhere else, do chase it away and make sure it does not reach other local Phelsumas. In theory this is all very interesting, but how do they expect people to do that really? Do you imagine yourself shooing away giant green lizards and protecting local ones? Haha! I don't!

Anyway dudettes and dudes and my spooked aliens, do tell me if you managed to spot a Grandis and how you dealt with it. :D

22 comments:

  1. being chased out of their territory by a geckoThe DON! :P

    How to deal with it?
    Ene koup ballier!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I'm too much of a coward to try the coup de balier as well! :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. No matter how endangered those species are, they're still ugly lizards to me! Eeewwww :|

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Angele, Aargh, to me too. I can't seem to be sad for them. Even today I saw one in the house and I was tempted to call my cat and let him feast on the lizard. Hihi

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting read. I wish to add that you can also contact the Mauritius Wildlife Foundation if you hear of any Grandis gecko sighting.
    Please visit the website @ www.mauritian-wildlife.org

    ReplyDelete
  6. hum am ok for saving those on île aux aigrettes or round island or whatever, but not those coming in my room or hiding near the windows and preparing themselves to jump on me when i open to breathe some fresh air. ^^ Anou sap nu lezar ki loin ar moi :p

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol. i would not make any difference. all i know is that the malgache ones came from rooch! i say sue her!

    ReplyDelete
  8. i didn't even know there were geckos in MU. At home there were only the brown lizards pooing everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Anoop, thanks for the info. ;)

    @ Jess, hihi, wai moi aussi mo du meme avis, anou sap nu lezar ki loin ar nou! :D

    @ Keli, yup in fact in the article the region of Pamplemousses is mentioned for having huge population of the malgache gecko. Must be Rooch, damn sure about it! :p

    @ Airwin, the green ones poo everywhere as well. They just poo a little quicker than the brown house lizards and then they go out again. Hihi

    ReplyDelete
  10. The markings make them appear to be miniature crocs, at first glance. Right??

    ReplyDelete
  11. Keats, yeah, but lucky they don't bite like real crocos!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phelsumas are cool creatures. They stay out of the house. They get in sometimes, but then, they get out. Not like those brown pests.

    If you want a quick lizard fighting tip, know that lizards feel secure when they are in the shadow of something. For example, curtains. That's why lizards hide there. Because they know you can't see them. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Haha! Drawing the curtain is the most difficult part in those situations. They might fall on my head. eewww...

    ReplyDelete
  14. saving them is difficult because we are mauritians and mauritians love to kill lizards. :p

    ReplyDelete
  15. How did you make up this general theory of Mauritians loving to kill lizards? That's so lame, to say the least.

    ReplyDelete
  16. How come I've never seen a gecko during my 20 years in Mauritius? :P
    I don't think they look ugly. I like the colors. :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Aline, I think you're lucky to have never seen one. They often get in the house and they move in a weird manner, like they are about to jump on you. :S They are so freaky!

    ReplyDelete
  18. So you also like to protect the animals, NOw that is something we have in common... I'm not saying this just because I find you a nice person ok, But I find that you have a gift in writing.... by the way do you have friendster, facebook account??? please add email me: hannahandbilly@gmail.com Bye!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hannah, thanks, I'll be adding you ASAP. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love their colour patterns. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  21. @ Carine, I tend to admire those colours more on pictures than when the lizards are in front of me! :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. Please read about geckos and what they contribute to your world (as in eating unpleasant insects) before you make ignorant statements about not knowing why anyone would want to save them.

    ReplyDelete