Tuesday 27 November 2007

Vermilion part 2 - Slipknot


I discovered the album Vol 3: (The Subliminal Verses) and consequently this song back in 2004. Yeah I did not know about Slipknot before that, my knowledge of Slipknot was limited to those designs on freaky black t-shirts I saw guys wear near Rose-Hill's bus station. I might as well say I had a huge prejudice against those guys and Slipknot! rolleyes Come to think of it, I still have a huge prejudice against those guys but not against Slipknot! Anyway, coming back to the song, I was impressed when I first listened to it because of the title itself and of its lyrics. Here they are:

She seemed dressed in all of me, stretched across my shame.
All the torment and the pain
Leaked through and covered me
I'd do anything to have her to myself
Just to have her for myself
Now I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do when she makes me sane.

She is everything to me
The unrequited dream
A song that no one sings
The unattainable, Shes a myth that I have to believe in
All I need to make it real is one more reason
I don't know what to do, I don't know what to do when she makes me sad.

But I won't let this build up inside of me
I won't let this build up inside of me
I won't let this build up inside of me
I won't let this build up inside of me

A catch in my throat choke
Torn into pieces
I won't, no!
I don't wanna be this...

But I won't let this build up inside of me
I won't let this build up inside of me
I won't let this build up inside of me
I won't let this build up inside of me

She isn't real
I can't make her real
She isn't real
I can't make her real

Quoting Wikipedia:

The lyrics in Vermilion have been heavily influenced by the concepts of German philosopher Frederich Nietzsche and French philosopher René Descartes. "I'm a slave, and I am a master" refers to Nietzsche's master-slave morality theory, while "I exist through my need" and "She isn't real, I can't make her real" refers to Cartesian dualism.

It has been suggested that the title Vermilion comes from the word "Verisimilitude" which means "seeming to be real." This is supported by the lyrics "she isn't real", not to mention the fact that Vermilion itself is a colour, a shade of red implying the relations of the color red to the lyrics. Furthermore, in magazine interviews, lead singer Corey Taylor had stated that it was a love song for his now former wife Scarlett. This further ties in with the name of the song, "Vermilion" being a shade of red and Scarlett as well.


And the video, beware, it's a little weird!




Anyway, today I realised that the month is almost over and that I did not blog about a crush of the month, so I opened my media player and played lots of new songs but nothing really inspired me until I remembered this one. I asked Jev to send it to me because I never backup my music and I end up losing them every time my laptop has mood swings.

My favourite part in this song is this:

She is everything to me
The unrequited dream
A song that no one sings


Ahh the song no one sings! This is so damn romantic. OK I need to get a hold of myself. Been a while I haven't been like this. I think I'll spend the night reading and listening to Vermillion.

What I see when I listen to it? twisted For once it's the view from my room, that is, the forest and I feel the wind from the window. This is bliss dudettes and dudes, at least for now this is bliss to me!

So long!


post signature

17 comments:

  1. hei einstein, i no it mite b hard to talk about this song.we'r all here 4 u n she is real :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. you remember? mai je t'en veu ki tone dir sa la! c'etait juste 1 coup de blues, pleine lune! :S

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never backup my music and I end up losing them every time my laptop has mood swings.

    This miss.. is one of the most kickass lines i've read lately.

    Great song and great writing. I love you. :p

    ReplyDelete
  4. my lines always kick ass! :P Love ya too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. bofff... pa mo genre de musik ditout... kan to mette ene shirt kouma sa bane guys lor lagare RH la? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. uh atan atan moi ki ti comment en premier ier!!! arggg kot mo comment eter? pfff
    mo pa p tro rapel ki mo ti dir. mais li ti involve mo etonneman ki ena dimune ki wikipedier santer...
    lol
    i like the view from your room? cant we exchange rooms?

    ReplyDelete
  7. keli, waai we can exchange room! :P hihi, ti pou fun!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aargh chai pa kot to comment ine go! mo pane receive okene! :( si sa se trouve mone perdi 1 ta comments hier akoz sa ena ossi peu ici! :S

    ReplyDelete
  9. aargh chai pa kot to comment ine go! mo pane receive okene! :( si sa se trouve mone perdi 1 ta comments hier akoz sa ena ossi peu ici! :S

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just love that song, amongst ma favourites. I remember listening to that on ma mp3 at school when i was doing ma hsc.. gosh so many memories lies in this song !

    ReplyDelete
  11. cool! it's a really captivating song! :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. slipknot has always been among my favourite :):):):):)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mo rapelle 2 ans de cela mo ti ecoute sa chanter Vermillion la, en faite ti premier chanter Slipknot ki mo ti ecouter. Mais contrairement a toi mo pa content li du tout :P

    Seule chanter Slipknot ki mo trouve mari seryé c'est "Before I Foget" :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. yup it's mine too selven! :P

    slasher, hehe, mo conten before i forget sii! :P tro bon! :P

    ReplyDelete