Saturday 16 January 2010

Tagged

You gotta be kidding me! I just spent about 15 minutes deleting emails from people who've got nothing better to do on a Saturday save for tagging photos on Facebook and commenting on them.

I really don't mind being tagged in a picture in which I am really present (read: a picture of me attending an event or something like that) but it really ruins the whole concept of tagging pictures when some people decide to associate your name with random cartoons or flowers or anything else that sounds like fun to them.

What bothers me more is when the thing or cartoon character to which my name is associated, represents everything that I am not. Today I got tagged as Waylon Smithers in a Simpsons' cartoon character picture. I don't know whether I'm missing something obvious about myself, but as much as I tried I really could not identify myself to Smithers (one of Marge's sisters would have been great!).




As a retaliation, I did the mildly rebellious act of "untagging" myself from the photos. At the very least I won't be receiving those new comments notification emails.

In case you're wondering, I'm not turning off the feature about allowing people to tag me in pictures because I happen to be tagged regularly for real events. It would be quite rude to turn that off.

9 comments:

  1. Hehe Smithers. That's weird. I'd tag you as Lisa, Miss know it all. ;-)

    I don't like getting tagged on virtual pictures. I don't like it so much that I don't even bother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to not bother but since it's someone kind of close who tagged me, I was kind of touched by the fact that she knew very little of me. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ignore them!! I think pretty much everybody who used to tag me unnecessarily got the message. Poor you...

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ P.T, I really hope they get the message now! I've had enough of those random, nonsense tags!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Since December, I got a new technique to avoid those tags...

    First of all, remove yourself from the picture, then mail the person about this Sh*t he/she made. Also, mention that tagging is probably the worst thing on facebook. Finally remove his from your friends :-)
    Just in case, he/she starts swearing at you, just block him :P (I haven't reached this situation yet, they usually reply back and say sorry)

    And it works!!!
    I rarely get tagged nowadays! lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been meaning to do that for ages too but ignoring the emails work well enough for now since I decided facebook was too convenient to delete.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Yashvin, I don't think I'll be mailing the persons yet. I think they got it when I untagged myself, luckily. :p

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Selective Apathy, yeah deleting the account is not an option for me too. Facebook is quite convenient.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I would be Homer; stuffing my face with food (but not beer). LoL... But someone told me I was more Lisa-type.

    I guess it was a lame joke or the person wanted to tag every character whoever he/she was. Some people do that.

    ReplyDelete