Wednesday 11 September 2013

It's the small things

So today we've just received feedback from one of our major clients about a work done last week. You see the deadline was short and the work was considerable. I was aided by two of my colleagues who had a lot to do on their side but happily offered/agreed to help when asked. I was quite nervous on this job, being a control freak I wanted to control every aspect of it. But soon I decided to trust them and let them do it their way. The result was good. They did a great job, they felt free. I was relieved on some of the tasks and could really focus on my share. In the end the feedback received from the client was very good. So I felt like sharing some of the stuff I've learnt on this one.

1. Trust
Don't try to control everything. Granted it's your project and you would be the most accountable for it but people work better when they are not under pressure.

2. Preserve some humility
Don't go about bossing other people. Remain humble and thank them at each stage of the work. They are doing you a favour by collaborating on your project.

3. Make them feel valued
I'm not saying that they are not valuable in the first place. What you need to do is to show them how valuable they are to you. This will provide a boost for them to perform to their best. To make you feel proud in a sense.


I've always compared professional synergy to a romantic relationship. You gotta make people feel loved and cared for to make it work. That's no rocket science, it's just plain human relations.

1 comment:

  1. Rightly said. Trust and letting people work their way is definitely a motivating factor.

    If you don't trust your employees, they will never feel part of the team.

    ReplyDelete